Welcome to my blog where I share all aspects of marine biology; news, interesting facts, as well as my life as a marine biology student and all the sweat and saltwater that has led me here!

Monday 30 March 2020

Rottingdean Epifauna

Rottingdean Epifauna
Rottingdean Undercliff is an area of shoreline with a large man-made promenade and sea defence. it is located near to Brighton.
I visited Rottingdean to see what epifauna was present there.
These are some of the pictures I took:





 Mermaids Glove, Haliclona oculata (length 30cm) much branched antler-like sponge that grows on seabed well below the low tide level.




A Common Dogfish Egg Case









Crab Exoskeleton possibly a juvenile Edible Crab  



Red Seaweed possibly Furcellaria lumbricalis




Common Whelk Egg Mass



Hornwrack , Flustra foliacea (length 20 cm )
bryozoan, it is a colonial animal which lives just off shore.
live specimens smell faintly of lemons.




Common Ray Egg Case

No comments:

Post a Comment